Skip to main content

How to remove the arms from your IKEA POÄNG armchair

Remove the arms on POÄNG in 2 steps.

I liked to type on my laptop while sitting in my old POÄNG. While it was mostly very comfy, my elbows were constrained by the armrests. They had to go.

Buy POÄNG armchair | IKEA.com

Materials and Tools:

Remove the arms from IKEA POÄNG

Doing it
How to remove arms from IKEA POANG armchair

The arms happen to be the right shape for rear supports! Cut them just above the front seat supports and flip them over. Then, sand off the raw edges of the cuts, and screw them to the base.

How to remove arms from IKEA POANG armchair

Related: Triple POÄNG — the astonishing cat resistant sofa


Figure out where the screws should go on one side, then measure their position so you can put them in the same place on the other side. Use the pencil to mark where you want to drill/cut.

I screwed them from underneath with counter-sunk holes:

countersink screws
Is It Good?
How to remove arms from IKEA POANG armchair

The angle is slightly less reclined than the original, so it feels slightly more ‘alert’ to sit in. It’s lost its bounce, but I consider it worth it.

My arms are comfortable, my elbows can swing, I can even sit cross-legged if I feel like it.

Because it’s less reclined, the headrest cushion tends to fall forward. Some gaffer tape rolled into ‘double sided’ bits did the trick here:

How to remove arms from IKEA POANG armchair

And that’s how you remove the arms from the POÄNG armchair.

I call it a Rowang.

How to remove arms from IKEA POANG armchair

~ by Rowan, Australia


You may be interested in other POÄNG hacks

#1 Look ma! No headrest

I sawed the top off the POÄNG chair to shorten the back and eliminated the headrest cushion. See more.

#2 POÄNG gravity recliner

I have a bad back and this hacked POÄNG gravity recliner was to help relieve pressure on my spine. So far it works exactly as planned. I also plan to add a heated seat massager to really unwind after a long day. Enjoy!

#3 Armrest padding

I found the bent wood arms on the POÄNG chair too hard and IKEA still does not make padded armrests for the chair. Here’s how I padded them.


The post How to remove the arms from your IKEA POÄNG armchair appeared first on IKEA Hackers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SKÅDIS: 5 ways to make the IKEA pegboard even better

IKEA introduced its own pegboard system, SKÅDIS, two years ago and I’d say it’s one of the best systems IKEA launched in recent years. I love how super customisable it is, with a growing range of accessories that help keep things organized. It works everywhere, in your wardrobe to bathroom . Probably anywhere you have a flat surface to hang it up. Photo: IKEA.com SKÅDIS pegboard system See it on IKEA.com But no matter how perfect a system, you can trust IKEA hackers to improve on the SKÅDIS. And they’ve settle these 5 issues you may have faced with the handy IKEA pegboard. Read on for their fixes. 5 IKEA SKÅDIS issues and fixes #1 Expensive hooks? You’ll need quite a number of hooks and accessories to fill up the SKÅDIS pegboard, and Kenyer was shocked at how quickly they all added up. So he figured he could make his own hooks to save cost. Photo: Kenyer Over at Instructables , he shows us how to twist copper wires into the SKÅDIS hook shape. It works s...

Enjoy Sweet Dreams With These DIY Headboard Ideas

A headboard is one of the last things you see before you fall asleep and one of the first things you see when you wake up. Demonstrate your unique design style by creating your own. Below are some ideas and tips to get you started. Do you think the formula for sleep is on this London bedroom’s headboard? Image: Clifton Interiors Ltd Chalk headboard Create this look with a can of black chalkboard paint. Almost any type of wall – drywall, plaster, wood, brick or concrete – will work, as long is it is properly prepped. Chalkboard paint is easy to apply, dries fast and can be cleaned with soap and water. But you’re not limited to the color black – chalkboard paint comes in just about every color. If you don’t want to use paint, consider chalkboard contact paper – and yes, you can use chalk on it. An Edmonton hockey-themed room. Image: Cameron Homes Hockey goal headboard For the ultimate hockey fan, nothing beats a hockey goal headboard. Complete the scene with a team blank...

Sliding Bookcase Doors KALLAX hack to divide your rooms

I replaced single-glazed sliding doors that divided the sitting room and dining room with a sliding KALLAX bookcase. For one “door”, I used two 2×2 cubes and one 2×1 unit. As we already owned 4 separate KALLAX 2×2 cubes and they seemed to be exactly the same width as the internal doors, we thought it might be possible to stack them. With one additional 2×1 KALLAX they almost matched the height of the internal doors. Sliding KALLAX bookcase doors in closed position First, still a work in progress but let us show you how it looks from the dining room, when the units are pushed together to close up the doorway. And the units pushed apart to enter the living room. We can access the storage cubes from both sides — from the dining or living room — which is so very useful. What I like most is, when viewed from the living room, when closed, it looks almost like a built-in unit. IKEA item used: 2×2 KALLAX units x 4 1×2 KALLAX units x 2 Other materials: 3M mounting tape...