Skip to main content

Faux fireplace mantel, all ready for stockings and more

I started this project because I’ve always wanted a mantle for hanging Christmas stockings. Et voilà! Here it is — the IKEA faux fireplace mantel. Finished and ready for Halloween. 

faux fireplace mantel IKEA hack

I wanted something simple and easy to put together without too much carpentry skills required. So this is something that requires a very limited number of power tools and 3 cuts with a circular saw. 

The inspiration came from Pinterest where I have seen a similar faux fireplace with storage. The only difference was that the upper part wasn’t a drawer, but a door. 

IKEA items used: 
Other materials and tools: 

Faux fireplace mantel IKEA hack

It all started with planning on paper and using the IKEA kitchen planning tool

plan

IKEA’s METOD kitchen range is so customizable and you can find all the dimensions and exact parts you need in the IKEA kitchen planner. 

Faux fireplace mantel

So, I needed cabinets that were 37 cm in depth.

Then on the sides, 30cm wide cabinets with shelves and in the middle a 80cm wide cabinet with drawers.

You can remove from the plan the drawers you don’t need (in my case the bottom two drawers were deleted so that the shopping cart is accurate).

To remove the drawers you go to the right side menu to “Customize” and then you have the drawers in the order they are shown in the plan top down. Just remove the fronts and also the drawer system as well. 

IKEA kitchen planner

During the planning process I realized that I don’t need the base and the legs of the base kitchen cabinets. So I switched from base cabinets to wall cabinets (37cm depth and 80cm height).

For the middle one I selected the one with doors and then Customized it and removed the doors and the shelves.

IKEA kitchen planner
Plenty of options to customize your faux fireplace mantel

If you don’t want to do the door molding yourself you can choose doors that already have a molding design to them. Plenty of options to choose from. Also if you want to go on black that is possible as IKEA has the METOD frames on wood like black. 

Then in the planning tool you get the list of items that you need. You just need to select from the list the items that you need (as in this planning exercise more items are listed than the needed ones). You can create your own shopping cart or favorites list by copying the article code from the list in the planning tool. 

I placed the order at IKEA and collected it from the store. (For pandemic times click and collect seemed the safest option for me). 

Start assembling

Then I started assembling the furniture.

faux fireplace mantel IKEA hack

For phase two I needed the circular saw to do the clean cut on the table tops. Here I had some help from my partner. 

He helped reduce the depth of the LINNMON table tops from 75cm to 42cm. So the bottom and the top goes over the cabinets 5cm in the front and sides (no need for the back). 

Wallpapering the back

After I had the base and the top done the wallpaper was next. For the base and inside the fireplace / middle cabinet, I used a white wash brick patterned wallpaper. This goes perfect with my entire living room design. (I have light grey walls and most of the furniture is white). 

faux fireplace mantel IKEA hack

Phase three was applying the molding.

I chose to apply the molding myself to create more of a fireplace look. I purchased Styrofoam wall molding that has a high density (so it behaves like wood). For cutting the molding I used a hand saw and a device that helps you to keep the cutting angles precise. 

Finished and ready for Halloween. 

faux fireplace mantel IKEA hack
How long and how much did it cost?

3 days after work activities (2-3 hours every day). My faux fireplace costs around 340 EUR / 390 USD.

What do you like most about the hack?

The hidden storage.

faux fireplace mantel IKEA hack
What was the hardest part about this hack?

Cutting the wall molding.

What to pay special attention to?

Planning phase is key. 

Looking back, would you have done it differently?

I would have gone for IKEA fronts with a lookalike finish (cutting the wall molding was a hassle).

See my complete tutorial here.

~ by Cristina

The post Faux fireplace mantel, all ready for stockings and more appeared first on IKEA Hackers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hackers Help: How to attach headboard to ESPEVÄR mattress base?

I’m trying to figure out if a headboard can be attached to an Espevar Mattress Base , and how to accomplish that. I’m looking at a standard metal headboard (because I just prefer the look of curved metal to what IKEA offers) and am not interested in a slat base with just a mattress on top, and a wall mounted headboard is not an option due to renting. Thanks for any help! ~ Amy *** Hi Amy I’ve not seen the ESPEVÄR in person but I believe it is possible to attach a headboard to it. From the website, the ESPEVÄR looks like a regular wooden slatted mattress base under a bed base slipover. As to how to attach it, that will depend on the fittings on the metal headboard. So you will just need to get the right hardware to secure the metal headboard to the wooden frame. And make some small openings on the slipcover to let the fixtures to go through. Jules Photo: IKEA.com Try these free-standing headboards for size A lime green and white headboard that takes centerstage in the r

Kitchen renovation reveal: Rhombus wall steals the show

It’s been a while since I did a home tour. If you’ve missed the previous reveals, you can catch up with my Master Bathroom remodel and Guest Bathroom reveal . Today, let’s focus on my kitchen renovation. Hands down, this is the most used room in my home. I spend crazy amounts of time in here, even when I’m not cooking. Just off to the side of the kitchen I converted an awkward space into a reading nook . In the mornings, I sit and read or pray and meditate, before it gets too warm. And on the other side, there’s a work-in-progress plant wall / indoor garden which also takes up a lot of my time. So, all in all, lots of traffic in here, and that’s not even counting cooking and eating time. The kitchen is definitely my favourite room, because the transformation is huge and I love how it turned out. Kitchen renovation: The before House 17 when I first got it, actually had 2 kitchens, which is a very common “Asian” home concept. First, the “dry kitchen”, which is where you make simp

IKEA sofa with genius armrest storage

Bet you never knew your sofa armrests were prime storage space. Ok, so the guys at IKEA are the masters of hidden / secret storage everywhere. In fact, one of the things I most loved about the  ESKILSTUNA sofa series was the undercover storage on the chaise lounge, but… what? More than 80 liters of storage space wasted on the armrests? NO WAY! I really don’t understand how they didn’t take that opportunity with several different armrest modules. Mobile chargers, cup / can holders, foldable tables, refrigerators… there’s SO MUCH space in there. I can’t stop thinking on different options! For myself, I went for two designs. First, a “full space” design on the (right) side of the chaise lounge. (The cavity fits two foldable chairs). Second, on the left armrest — a flip open section for “mobile charger / remote control storage / etc.”. Below that, a full-depth pull-out drawer, tall enough to store A4 sized magazines. This is the final result: Full space design, right of cha