Skip to main content

1 big or 2 small units: This portable kitchen island so useful

I’ve always wanted to have a kitchen island and when moving into a new apartment, our small kitchen and limited countertop surfaces gave me the opportunity to create my dream kitchen island.

I went for the KALLAX unit because I was looking for an affordable and easily DIYable solution. As I was looking for ideas on Pinterest, I stumbled upon similar projects which gave me the inspiration to make my own version of it. After all, it’s such a versatile piece that even if I change my mind in the future, I can use it as something else!

Three things were key to my decision: lots of storage, a large enough surface area and the ability to move it between rooms. That’s why we opted for two 2×2 KALLAX shelving units instead of one bigger one (2×4), so that we could move at least one of the two units to the living room or patio and use it as a buffet trolley when we have people over.

The video below shows how I made my portable kitchen island from start to finish. Click the play button to watch.

IKEA items used:
Materials & Tools:

Detachable portable kitchen island hack:

First, I assembled the two KALLAX shelving units as per instructions. Then, I attached the wheels. I used two with a stopper, and two without for each unit.

attach wheels -detachable portable kitchen island, IKEA hack

Then, I cut two pieces of countertop with a jigsaw. I decided to make the overhang even on all sides so, about 4.7in x 4.9in (12cm – 12.5cm) on each side. The total dimensions of the countertop after cutting are 25in x 35in (63.5 cm x 89 cm).

cut KARLBY countertop

To hide the cut edge, I attached some edge banding with a warm iron.

attach edge banding detachable portable kitchen island, IKEA hack

Next, I spread some silicone glue on the top surface of the KALLAX and very carefully, glued the worktop down. You can also screw a couple of screws for extra security, underneath the surface of the KALLAX going up towards the countertop.

Finally, I attached the door magnet on the edge of the bottom of one of the countertops and the metal corner on the edge of the other unit.

I then, repeated on the other side.

And that completes the DIY Kitchen Island project!

detachable portable kitchen island, IKEA hack
detachable portable kitchen island, IKEA hack
Some things to keep in mind while creating this project:

When attaching the wheels, make sure that the wheel itself (and not the metal part that holds the wheel) is aligned with the edge of the unit, otherwise the two units won’t be able to connect.

The most challenging part in creating this project was finding the correct magnets to attach. I had initially purchased a pair of 5kg door magnets but they weren’t strong enough, so I ended up using a pair of 20kg magnets instead. If I were to do it again, I would have opted for a pair of door hooks instead.

Finally, attaching the worktop on KALLAX’s unit is definitely a two-person job if you want to make sure it is perfectly aligned and I would highly recommend making some markings on the countertop to help you with your alignment.

How did it take and what’s the cost?

It took me a few hours to complete it and cost me 170€.

This project is so easy and straightforward, if you have the tools, anyone can do it!

~ by Daphne @Craftydust

The post 1 big or 2 small units: This portable kitchen island so useful appeared first on IKEA Hackers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hackers Help: How to attach headboard to ESPEVÄR mattress base?

I’m trying to figure out if a headboard can be attached to an Espevar Mattress Base , and how to accomplish that. I’m looking at a standard metal headboard (because I just prefer the look of curved metal to what IKEA offers) and am not interested in a slat base with just a mattress on top, and a wall mounted headboard is not an option due to renting. Thanks for any help! ~ Amy *** Hi Amy I’ve not seen the ESPEVÄR in person but I believe it is possible to attach a headboard to it. From the website, the ESPEVÄR looks like a regular wooden slatted mattress base under a bed base slipover. As to how to attach it, that will depend on the fittings on the metal headboard. So you will just need to get the right hardware to secure the metal headboard to the wooden frame. And make some small openings on the slipcover to let the fixtures to go through. Jules Photo: IKEA.com Try these free-standing headboards for size A lime green and white headboard that takes centerstage in the r

Should You Decorate for the Holidays If Your Home is on the Market?

‘Tis the season to be jolly, but should your home reflect the joy of the season if you’re also trying to sell it? If you love to decorate for the holidays, missing out on this once-a-year opportunity might sound like torture. On the other hand, you don’t want to miss the chance to sell your home because of your decorations. So, should you decorate for the holidays if your home is on the market? We’ve got some “nays,” “yeas,” and “other considerations.” No, Don’t Decorate An elaborately-decorated home in Houston. Image: Regina Gust Designs Our first two realtors are against decorating for the holidays if you’re trying to sell your home. According to Anita Springate-Renaud, licensed partner and broker at Engel & Völkers Toronto Central , your festive decor can distract buyers from looking at the home’s raw design. “Elaborate decorations can distract and shift a prospective buyer’s focus away from what they should be looking at when shopping for a property.” So what should they

Turning 2 SVARTA loft beds into one big double loft bed

One double loft bed coming up! I felt like I had too little living space. I wanted a loft bed, but still loved my ‘old’ 160 x 200cm IKEA mattress. There seemed to be no IKEA or even other affordable 160 x 200 double loft bed options. Then, my boyfriend suggested getting two second hand IKEA loft beds and making it into one. I set out to find whether someone did this hack. I found many people asking if it could be done, but to my surprise, nobody seems to have documented trying it. So I decided to be the one to just do it and share it for anyone that wants to do it too. IKEA items used: SVARTA loft bed x 2 (and in my case, my old IKEA wooden slatted bed bases at 200 x 80cm x 2 and my well loved IKEA 160 x 200cm mattress). Photo: IKEA.com Of course, you can buy everything new. You have the option to choose the 2 wooden slatted bed bases like I did with a 180 x 200cm mattress. Or stick with the metal bed base provided and use two 90 x 200cm mattresses. (Though you might hav