Skip to main content

Adjustable helper tower that grows with your child

CAUTION: If you are unsure of how to make this safely, please do not recreate this TROFAST helper tower. Get an original Learning Tower.

When our son was about a year old, I wanted to find a way to get him more involved when I cooked. It was then that I stumbled across the concept of a helper tower.

However, the readymade options in the market are really expensive. And I was not ready to invest such a sum after a long maternity leave.

My ability to work with wood being limited, the option of building it myself from scratch was also out of the question.

So I turned to social networks to find an idea to adapt an existing piece of furniture on a learning tour. 

I came across several sites that showed how to turn an IKEA footstool into a learning tower. However, this idea did not suit me because I was looking for something that could grow with my son. Which meant, I wanted a helper tower with a height-adjustable step.

I then decided to develop my own IKEA hack by adapting another of their furniture. And since I have never seen anyone on the Internet with the same idea, I thought it might be of interest to you to know how I did it.

Helper Tower IKEA Hack

As the idea of ​​having a helper tower with adjustable levels was important to me, I decided to use the IKEA TROFAST toy storage frame as the base of my project.

Trofast frame

TROFAST frame | IKEA.com

It’s very simple. The idea is to NOT install the top shelf in order to create an opening at the top of the frame.

learning helper tower IKEA Trofast hack

Then, using pieces of pine plank that we already had at home, I made a large box platform. It slotted into the rail groove closest to the ground. 

This platform protrudes from the module by approximately six inches. It provides stability to the structure and serves as the first step up.

learning helper tower IKEA Trofast hack

Finally, still with the wood scraps we already had at home, I made a sturdy shelf. We made sure that the thickness of the wood was a tight fit for the grooves to avoid any movement or slippage.

T shelf

Cross section of shelf for learning tower

The shelf has a support beam running under it to prevent any sag. This shelf can be raised or lowered depending on the height of the child using the tower.

The shelf is so tight in the groove that it doesn’t slip and I did not use any brackets to hold it up. Nevertheless, you may want to add some brackets or cleat supports, depending on the wood used. Please use your own judgement in creating a safe and sturdy platform for your child.

(Please take note that the IKEA TROFAST shelves may not be strong enough to support the weight of a child. They also tend to fall off the grooves.)

cleat support

Cleat supports | Credit: Craftmanspace.com

And with that, our learning tower is done.

See the complete tutorial here.

~ by Annick

The post Adjustable helper tower that grows with your child appeared first on IKEA Hackers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hackers Help: How to attach headboard to ESPEVÄR mattress base?

I’m trying to figure out if a headboard can be attached to an Espevar Mattress Base , and how to accomplish that. I’m looking at a standard metal headboard (because I just prefer the look of curved metal to what IKEA offers) and am not interested in a slat base with just a mattress on top, and a wall mounted headboard is not an option due to renting. Thanks for any help! ~ Amy *** Hi Amy I’ve not seen the ESPEVÄR in person but I believe it is possible to attach a headboard to it. From the website, the ESPEVÄR looks like a regular wooden slatted mattress base under a bed base slipover. As to how to attach it, that will depend on the fittings on the metal headboard. So you will just need to get the right hardware to secure the metal headboard to the wooden frame. And make some small openings on the slipcover to let the fixtures to go through. Jules Photo: IKEA.com Try these free-standing headboards for size A lime green and white headboard that takes centerstage in the r

Should You Decorate for the Holidays If Your Home is on the Market?

‘Tis the season to be jolly, but should your home reflect the joy of the season if you’re also trying to sell it? If you love to decorate for the holidays, missing out on this once-a-year opportunity might sound like torture. On the other hand, you don’t want to miss the chance to sell your home because of your decorations. So, should you decorate for the holidays if your home is on the market? We’ve got some “nays,” “yeas,” and “other considerations.” No, Don’t Decorate An elaborately-decorated home in Houston. Image: Regina Gust Designs Our first two realtors are against decorating for the holidays if you’re trying to sell your home. According to Anita Springate-Renaud, licensed partner and broker at Engel & Völkers Toronto Central , your festive decor can distract buyers from looking at the home’s raw design. “Elaborate decorations can distract and shift a prospective buyer’s focus away from what they should be looking at when shopping for a property.” So what should they

Kitchen renovation reveal: Rhombus wall steals the show

It’s been a while since I did a home tour. If you’ve missed the previous reveals, you can catch up with my Master Bathroom remodel and Guest Bathroom reveal . Today, let’s focus on my kitchen renovation. Hands down, this is the most used room in my home. I spend crazy amounts of time in here, even when I’m not cooking. Just off to the side of the kitchen I converted an awkward space into a reading nook . In the mornings, I sit and read or pray and meditate, before it gets too warm. And on the other side, there’s a work-in-progress plant wall / indoor garden which also takes up a lot of my time. So, all in all, lots of traffic in here, and that’s not even counting cooking and eating time. The kitchen is definitely my favourite room, because the transformation is huge and I love how it turned out. Kitchen renovation: The before House 17 when I first got it, actually had 2 kitchens, which is a very common “Asian” home concept. First, the “dry kitchen”, which is where you make simp