Skip to main content

IKEA BESTÅ entertainment unit designed for an 82″ TV

We wanted an 80+ inch TV and looked at many commercial entertainment units and there were not many that would accept a TV this large. We wanted a ‘built-in’ look and custom cabinets were in the $5-7K range.

Here’s a look at our finished BESTÅ entertainment unit.

BESTÅ entertainment unit

Related: Hack an IKEA TV cabinet with real wood top


IKEA items used: 
Other materials and tools: 
  • 1×2″ pre-primed MDF for bookcase face-frames
  • 1×6″ pre-primed MDF for cabinet platforms
  • 5″ MDF crown molding
  • One 3/4″ x 4’x8′ sheet of MDF
  • Paint to match cabinets
  • Biscuit joiner to attach face frame
  • 1 1/2″ wood screws to attach cabinets together

BESTÅ entertainment unit

I started by laying out the cabinets with the BESTÅ Planner on the IKEA website.  I built mine for a 82″ TV, but you’ll need to check the dimensions for your TV. 

My cabinets are the 15″ deep BESTÅs under the TV and the 8″ deep BESTÅs everywhere else to give some difference in depth to add interest to the look.

Remove the baseboard on the wall where the cabinets will go.

baseboards

Build platforms to place under the cabinets.  I built mine out of 1×6″ MDF boards from Home Depot.  The actual dimension of the 1×6″ board is 5 1/2″ and my baseboard was 5 1/4″, so this gave me a 1/4″ reveal on the base platforms after the baseboard is installed.  My platform’s outside dimensions matched the IKEA BESTÅ cabinets exactly.

I placed the base cabinets on their platforms and clamped them together and measured for the top.  I sandwiched two pieces of 3/4″ MDF together to form the top that was 1 1/2″ thick.  The dimensions of the top were exactly the dimensions of the assembled cabinets.  Since I don’t have a table saw, I had them cut at Home Depot where I bought the wood (no charge for them to do this). I finished this with edge banding.

countertop

Related: Beautiful BILLY BESTÅ Behemoth


Adding bookcases

The bookcases are just BESTÅ cabinets without doors.  I used 1×2″ MDF trim boards to make face-frames for them to give them a more finished look.  I painted them to match the cabinets.  The face frame is attached with wooden biscuits, but you could use nails or even just glue it on if you can clamp it well.

BESTÅ entertainment unit

The ‘bridge” across the top is six of the small, shallow BESTÅ cabinets screwed together.  I installed them upside down so the threads that normally take the adjustable feet were used for a wood plate that held the cabinets together so they would stay aligned for installation. 

However, the screws in the sides of the cabinet plus the wood plate on top was not enough to keep the cabinets from sagging in the middle about 1/4″ so I installed ‘L’ brackets at the top of the cabinets to hold them in position. 

To make sure the bridge cabinets were straight, I used a ‘jury stick’ between the countertop of the bottom cabinets and bottom of the bridge to make sure they were straight and parallel to the base.

BESTÅ entertainment unit

The crown is a 5 1/2″ MDF molding.  Cutting crown correctly can be challenging for the inexperienced and I suggest you look at a few of the many tutorials on Youtube before you start cutting wood.

I attached all the cabinets to the wall using the BESTÅ locations in the cabinets. Then, I used the helical screw-in drywall anchors from Home Depot.

BESTÅ entertainment unit

Since, I had some extra baseboard I pre-painted it and mitered it to the new base, caulked it and final painted it.

How long and how much did it cost?  

I’m not a woodworker, so it took a while — probably about 30 hours total. (I could do it again for less than 20, I think) The IKEA doors, cabinets and hinges were about $1000.  I spent another $100 for wood/fasteners at Home Depot

What do you like most about the hack? 

It is pretty close to what I’d design if I was going to have a custom design from a cabinet shop, but a lot less money

What was the hardest part about hacking a BESTÅ entertainment unit? 

I had to hire some help to install the bridge cabinets — I couldn’t lift 60 lbs to 7′ myself.  Bit of a learning curve to cut crown molding.

What to pay special attention to? 

Making sure the cabinets all align so the doors will align when you’re done.

And other thoughts/ comments that you have received about the hack.

I had to go to IKEA about three times to get everything I needed to finish.  Inventory is spotty these days.

~ by Phil D

The post IKEA BESTÅ entertainment unit designed for an 82″ TV appeared first on IKEA Hackers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hackers Help: How to attach headboard to ESPEVÄR mattress base?

I’m trying to figure out if a headboard can be attached to an Espevar Mattress Base , and how to accomplish that. I’m looking at a standard metal headboard (because I just prefer the look of curved metal to what IKEA offers) and am not interested in a slat base with just a mattress on top, and a wall mounted headboard is not an option due to renting. Thanks for any help! ~ Amy *** Hi Amy I’ve not seen the ESPEVÄR in person but I believe it is possible to attach a headboard to it. From the website, the ESPEVÄR looks like a regular wooden slatted mattress base under a bed base slipover. As to how to attach it, that will depend on the fittings on the metal headboard. So you will just need to get the right hardware to secure the metal headboard to the wooden frame. And make some small openings on the slipcover to let the fixtures to go through. Jules Photo: IKEA.com Try these free-standing headboards for size A lime green and white headboard that takes centerstage in the r

Turning 2 SVARTA loft beds into one big double loft bed

One double loft bed coming up! I felt like I had too little living space. I wanted a loft bed, but still loved my ‘old’ 160 x 200cm IKEA mattress. There seemed to be no IKEA or even other affordable 160 x 200 double loft bed options. Then, my boyfriend suggested getting two second hand IKEA loft beds and making it into one. I set out to find whether someone did this hack. I found many people asking if it could be done, but to my surprise, nobody seems to have documented trying it. So I decided to be the one to just do it and share it for anyone that wants to do it too. IKEA items used: SVARTA loft bed x 2 (and in my case, my old IKEA wooden slatted bed bases at 200 x 80cm x 2 and my well loved IKEA 160 x 200cm mattress). Photo: IKEA.com Of course, you can buy everything new. You have the option to choose the 2 wooden slatted bed bases like I did with a 180 x 200cm mattress. Or stick with the metal bed base provided and use two 90 x 200cm mattresses. (Though you might hav

Should You Decorate for the Holidays If Your Home is on the Market?

‘Tis the season to be jolly, but should your home reflect the joy of the season if you’re also trying to sell it? If you love to decorate for the holidays, missing out on this once-a-year opportunity might sound like torture. On the other hand, you don’t want to miss the chance to sell your home because of your decorations. So, should you decorate for the holidays if your home is on the market? We’ve got some “nays,” “yeas,” and “other considerations.” No, Don’t Decorate An elaborately-decorated home in Houston. Image: Regina Gust Designs Our first two realtors are against decorating for the holidays if you’re trying to sell your home. According to Anita Springate-Renaud, licensed partner and broker at Engel & Völkers Toronto Central , your festive decor can distract buyers from looking at the home’s raw design. “Elaborate decorations can distract and shift a prospective buyer’s focus away from what they should be looking at when shopping for a property.” So what should they